An ancient yogic breathing practice, or pranayama, is used to rebalance the autonomic nervous system. Dr. Maud Nerman strongly recommends alternate nostril breathing for those that experience chronic pain caused by physical or emotional trauma.
Here’s a basic practice:
- After folding the middle two fingers of the right hand down, press the right nostril closed.
- Inhale to the count of four.
- Hold both nostrils closed for a count of eight.
- Release the right nostril and exhale to a count of eight.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Continue for at least three minutes, alternating sides throughout.