by Cecily Casey
Engage a personal trainer based on his/her positive responses to the following qualifiers.
- Starts by discussing short- and long-term goals
- Customizes a program for individual needs
- Reviews one’s health history in detail
- Conducts a posture analysis
- Screens each client for quality of movement
- Asks the client to track his or her food intake 4 Provides helpful cues for improvement during sessions
- Critiques movement from various angles
- Is able to ramp up or ease off exercise challenges as needed 4 Never uses the phrase, “No pain, no gain”
- Keeps current with educational certifications, workshops and seminars
Cecily Casey is co-owner of RealFit Gym, in Highland Park, IL, where she is a practicing American College of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer.