Here’s a great incentive to save water and add color to your landscaping. SAWS is offering $100 coupons to entice residential water customers to convert some of their traditional lawn to colorful gardens of drought-tolerant plants. It’s a pilot program through July 31, so act now.
“If you are struggling with difficult turf areas that suffer in the heat, this is a great opportunity to transform it into an attractive landscape requiring less water,” said Karen Guz, SAWS Conservation director. Qualified SAWS water customers will receive a $100 coupon toward the purchase of a pre-planned garden bed package at a number of local nurseries.
A full sun or partial shade plant package is currently available and includes 15 drought-tolerant plants, one cubic yard of mulch, a garden bed plan and a plant care guide. The coupon covers a portion of the plant package cost.
Among the requirements to participate in the program:
- Participants must complete a paper application or apply online.
- The package is available for grass/turf replacement only. Existing beds are not eligible for this program.
- If you have an in-ground irrigation system, you will have to cap the spray heads or convert to drip in the bed area before planting.
- The bed must be at least 200 contiguous square feet.
- One cubic yard of mulch must be included in your purchase.
All applications must be submitted no later than July 31, 2013, to be considered. For more info, visit www.saws.org/Conservation/Outdoor/Coupon.