Kids ages 8-17 can hone their writing skills and stretch their imaginations at a series of weeklong summer workshops offered by Gemini Ink. Camp Ink! workshops start June 9 and continue through July 11. Workshops are available to two age groups: 8-12 and 13-17.
WORKSHOPS FOR YOUNGSTERS 8-12 INCLUDE:
- Words and Pictures – June 9-13. Participants use visual art to experiment with new ways of storytelling and using words to enhance their art.
- Comic Books – June 16-29. Learn the basics of telling a great comic book story. Practice creating a sequence of visual images, or storyboard, to tell a story.
- Playwriting – July 7-11. Learn how to create believable dialogue and shape interesting characters. Also learn to work as a team to get words and ideas on the stage.
WORKSHOPS FOR TEENS 13-17 INCLUDE:
- Dear Diary: Journaling – June 23-27. Discover how journaling can give you a new way to see the world around you. Read the journals of famous writers and practice your own reflective writing.
- Your Own Beat: DJ Poetry – June 30 – July 3. Expand your poetry by mixing it with lyrics and beats. Learn to use music to provide emotion and background to poems that you write and perform.
- Steampunk Short Stories – July 7-11. Travel through time and space to Victorian England where you encounter characters inventing a new world. Create a series of poems or short stories for a book of your own design.
Gemini Ink is located at 513 S. Presa. Workshops are $240 each; scholarships available. For more information about Gemini Ink or Camp Ink!, visit www.geminiink.org.