With the days getting longer and the promise of just spring around the corner, February is the perfect time to renew your commitment to a healthier, happier you. Fortunately, February is packed with opportunities to dust off your running shoes and hit the pavement (or trails).
Here’s a list of several local running and walking events this month:
- Natural Bridge Caverns Trail Runs: Sunday, Feb. 7, starting at 7:30 a.m. at Natural Bridge Caverns. This is the only run in the world that starts in the belly of a cave. Choose from the half marathon, 10K or 5K events, all of which begin in Pluto’s Anteroom, inside Texas’ largest caverns. www.redemptionrp.com.
- Street2Feet 5K: Saturday, Feb. 20, at 7:45 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church, 404 N. Alamo. Run to support Street2Feet, a 5K training program that promotes health in spirit, mind and body among individuals experiencing homelessness. After the event, shop at the farmer’s market for local fresh fruits and veggies. www.street2feet.org.
- Alamo Run Fest and Health & Wellness Expo: Sunday, Feb. 21, at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St. The Health and Wellness Expo starts on Saturday, Feb. 20, in the Alamodome, while the running events take place the next day, Feb. 21. Choose from a half marathon, 5K or 10K events, all of which finish inside the Alamodome. www.alamorunfest.com.
- 6th Annual Run for the Heights 5K and Health Fair: Saturday, Feb. 27, at 8:30 a.m. at Tuscany Heights Elementary School, 25001 Wilderness Oak. Run or walk the 5K, then enjoy post-race food, drinks and a health fair expo, which includes free health screenings and valuable wellness info. www.runfortheheights.tuscanyheightspta.org.
- Red Run Spa Day & 5K (plus NEW 10K option): Sunday, Feb. 28, at 8:30 a.m. at O.P. Schnabel Park, 9606 Bandera Rd. This event celebrates the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women movement. Enjoy a 5K course complete with spa services, tasty treats and freebies provided by area vendors. Entry includes tech T-shirt and swag bag filled with spa and beauty goodies. www.carreraraces.com/redrun.asp.
- Founders Day 5K at the McNay Art Museum: Sunday, Feb. 28, at 10 a.m. at the McNay Art Museum, 6000 N. New Braunfels. Celebrate museum founder Marion Koogler McNay’s birthday with a 5K run/walk and after party. Entry includes a T-shirt, after party and general admission to the museum. www.mcnayart.org/special-events.