DreamWeek is a 12-day summit designed to inspire, motivate, and celebrate San Antonio’s diversity and multiculturalism. Through workshops, lectures, mixers, exhibits and speaking engagements this multi-day event promotes an exchange of ideas on universal issues while continuing to advance the teachings and visions of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. DreamWeek’s mission is to create dialogue across cultures and communities and raise the voices of tolerance, equality and diversity.
Numerous organizations across the city will participate and host more than 150 events, culminating with the nationally recognized Martin Luther King, Jr. march on Monday, Jan. 18.
DreamWeek kicks off Friday, Jan. 8, with an opening breakfast featuring keynote speaker Martin Luther King III. An awards luncheon takes place on Thursday, Jan. 14, and the week will end with a DreamVoice Freedom Party at the Southwest School of Art on Tuesday, Jan. 19 (see the Calendar of Events on pages 32 and 33 for more information on DreamWeek events).
EVENTS DURING DREAMWEEK INCLUDE:
- Revitalizing the Dream: An Equitable Neighborhood Development Discussion on Monday, Jan. 11, featuring discussions on anticipated changes in small business development, affordable housing and family financial wellness, at Cafe Commerce, 600 Soledad St. from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Building a Better Community Mixer on Wednesday, Jan. 13 with speaker Alan Warrick (City Council District 12), 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Ma Harper’s Creole Kitchen, 1816 N. New Braunfels Ave.
- The MLK, Jr. Commemorative Lecture Series featuring Dr. Freeman Hrabowski at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 14, at Trinity University’s Laurie Auditorium, 1 Trinity Place.
- ‘I Have a Dream’ Community Dance Celebration from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 15, at Tucker’s Kozy Korner, 1338 E. Houston St.
- San Antonio MLK March, one of the largest commemorative marches in the nation, at 10 a.m., Monday, Jan. 18, beginning at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Academy, 3501 Martin Luther King Dr.
- And MUCH More!
For more information about DreamWeek 2016, including a full schedule of events and participating organizations, visit www.dreamweek.org.